Suzanne J. DeCopain
Suzanne J. DeCopain, an associate with Saxon|Gilmore, concentrates her practice in the areas of general civil litigation and affordable and public housing. She provides advice and services to various public housing authorities and other affordable housing providers in such areas as landlord/tenant matters and all associated aspects of state, federal, and HUD related laws, regulations, policies, and compliance; Fair Housing and ADA/504 compliance; Florida Government-in-the-Sunshine law; public records law; corporate governance; contracts; torts; employment law, human resources policy, and EEOC matters.
Formerly, Ms. DeCopain worked for over three years as an assistant state attorney for the Twentieth Judicial Circuit of Florida, where she gained significant jury and bench trial experience. She received her B.A. degree from Florida Gulf Coast University and her J.D. degree from Florida Coastal School of Law, where she won best brief in moot court and held many positions, including Co-Director of the Pro Bono Society, Chaplain of the Black Law Student Association, and founding President of the Caribbean Law Student Association. While at Florida Coastal, she helped her clients in the Immigration Clinic gain permanent residency.
Ms. DeCopain serves as secretary of the George Edgecomb Bar Association (GEBA), one of the most active bar associations in Tampa. She helps to organize the annual GEBA legal redress workshop. She also volunteers with Youth Build and presents on sealing and expungement of records to local youth.
She has been included in the Florida Super Lawyers, Rising Stars® list for 2018.
- General Civil Litigation
- Affordable and Public Housing
- Florida (all state courts)
- U.S. District Court (Middle District of Florida)
- The Florida Bar
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- George Edgecomb Bar Association, Secretary and Community Actions Committee/Legal Redress Workshop Chair
- Parkway Center Community Development District Board
- Virgil Hawkins Florida Chapter National Bar Association (2012-2013)
- Isaac Anderson Jr. Bar Association (2009-2011)
- National Black Prosecutors Association (2010-2011)
- American Inns of Court (Tampa Bay Inn of Court, 2013-2016)
- Florida Gulf Coast University Alumni Association, Board of Directors (2010-2014)
- Florida Coastal School of Law (J.D., 2009)
- Florida Gulf Coast University (B.A., 2004)
HUD Releases Final Rule Implementing VAWA 2013
Recent Court Decisions on Violations of the Public Records Act
Legal Issues To Consider When Illegal Drugs Are Found In Plain View
- Selected for inclusion in Florida Super Lawyers, Rising Stars List 2018